In the aftermath of all the conference championship games yesterday, the only thing up for grabs now is that final CFP spot. Alabama is in. Clemson is in. Notre Dame should be in, but could be dropped out for Oklahoma and Ohio State. Georgia is on the bubble, but has a huge case to be in. And UCF is still praying that someone wants them. We will see Who’s In and Who’s Out at noon today on ESPN. Here are my projections for the CFP Top 12 and associated New Year’s Six Bowls:
CFP Top 12 Projections
- Alabama – They’ve been the best team all year; no reason to drop them.
- Clemson – Beaten who they needed to beat and have yet to face any adversity since Lawrence was full time QB.
- Notre Dame – Ran their schedule well and beat who they needed to beat; defense is one of the best in FBS and deserves a spot. Could see dropped to 4th.
- Oklahoma – The best winner yesterday; slayed their demon in Texas avenging the loss really pushes them above.
- Georgia – Nearly beat Alabama, but injuring starting quarterbacks always seems to go against the Bulldogs; still an elite team and with a huge case to be made to be in.
- Ohio State – Can’t see them dropping here after winning, but their resume just doesn’t stack up.
- UCF – Jumps Michigan due to being a conference champion (as that does play some weight).
- Michigan – Drops down one below UCF but maintains based on strength of record.
- Washington – Jumps after winning Pac-12 but strength of win was far from what they’ve been used to.
- Florida – Maintains.
- LSU – Maintains.
- Penn State – Maintains.
New Year’s Six Bowl Projections
- Capital One Orange Bowl (CFP Semifinal)
- (1) Alabama v (4) Oklahoma
- Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (CFP Semifinal)
- (2) Clemson v (3) Notre Dame
- Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
- (8) Michigan v (10) Florida
- PlayStation Fiesta Bowl
- (7) UCF v (12) Penn State
- Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual
- (6) Ohio State v (9) Washington
- Allstate Sugar Bowl
- (5) Georgia v (15) Texas
Categories: College Football