Week 9 is headlined by the Florida-Georgia/Georgia-Florida rivalry in Jacksonville, a top matchup in Palo Alto between Washington State and Stanford, a tough Iowa team making the trip to Happy Valley, and Texas going under the lights against Oklahoma State trying to get another statement win in the Big 12. But outside of those big games, there are plenty of matchups to look at and games to bet. Here are my five upsets of the week:
Season: 10-10 (7 Outright)
- TEXAS TECH (+ 6.0) at Iowa State
- The Cyclones have blown out the Red Raiders the last two years… but Texas Tech has gotten themselves a defense this year. Revenge is a sweet sweet thing and Texas Tech has been playing well. Iowa State might have a great defense, but can’t see a blowout going their way.
- NORTHWESTERN (+ 3.5) v Wisconsin
- The Badgers haven’t won back to back games in Evanston since ’97/’99. They’ve won the last two years, but Northwestern has been getting much better and rarely lets Wisconsin grab three straight as of late in this rivalry. A win for the Wildcats would spoil Wisconsin’s chances at a Big Ten title, and put themselves in a big spot for their own Big Ten title quest.
- USF (+ 8.0) at Houston
- Vegas loves the Cougars this week, but without Ed Oliver, can they stop the Bulls? USF loves to score and Houston has been playing close games against good teams. More than a touchdown is a lot of points to give.
- NAVY (+ 24.0) v Notre Dame (Neutral Site)
- San Diego County Credit Union Stadium plays host to a long standing rivalry of Navy and Notre Dame. The Irish will be heading into Navy territory on the West Coast against a team that runs a very tough to stop offense. This will be a new look for Notre Dame to see this year and they have struggled against big underdog teams. It is a lopsided rivalry, but never a blowout; 24 is a lot of points to give.
- HAWAII (+ 26.0) at Fresno State
- The Bulldogs would love to make their case for the best Group of Five team, and a big win against Hawaii would go a long way. Hawaii’s offense hasn’t been rolling since their 5OT game against SJSU, but they will need to to beat Fresno State. This will be Fresno State’s first tough test, and although they should win, it will be a close one.
(All lines from ESPN)
Categories: College Football