Moving on to Week 6 offers us a lot of value with games, even with some big games like the Red River Showdown and Notre Dame heading to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech. Here are my 5 underdog points plays you should keep your eye on:
Season: 4-1 (3 Outright)
- MARYLAND (+17.5) at Michigan
- Going to the Big House isn’t the easiest task, but this year has seen Michigan going backwards at times while the Terps have been rising. Michigan struggled against the two toughest teams that they’ve faced, Notre Dame and Northwestern, and Shea Patterson has yet to look like the QB to lead this Wolverines team. They should win, but a more than two touchdowns and a field goal points spread is too much to pass up.
- EAST CAROLINA (+10.5) at Temple
- Hard to knock ECU with their two losses – one by a lightning delayed to the next day game to NC A&T and the other to USF during Hurricane Florence. Otherwise, they could have easily been 4-0 entering this matchup at Temple. Temple caught a Maryland team off guard and rolled a weak Tulsa team, but didn’t get the job done with Villanova and Buffalo – even if they win this week, they are facing a much better ECU and hard to see them winning by much.
- AIR FORCE (+3.0) v Navy
- It hasn’t been easy for Air Force this year, with tough road losses to FAU and Utah State, and then a stunning home loss to Nevada. But when Navy comes to town, it is a new team in Colorado. Navy has yet to win a game by more than a point, with two losses to teams west of the Mississippi this year. Travelling isn’t something that the Midshipman do well and that may come to bite them against their rival.
- BOWLING GREEN (+21.0) at Toledo
- Heading to the Glass Bowl for this one. Bowling Green has losses at Oregon, against a rolling Maryland, and at Georgia Tech – all teams with very good defenses. Toledo… not so much. Although Toledo has been hot, they have been allowing 450+ yards per game (mostly through the air) – not that Bowling Green is much better with 500+ (but mostly on the ground; Toledo is a passing team). This will be a shootdown in the MAC – nowhere near a runaway win like the line says.
- SOUTH ALABAMA (+11.0) at Georgia Southern
- South Alabama has had it rough, with games at Oklahoma State, at Memphis, and at Appalachian State. Now they go on the road to a Georgia Southern team that tries to out run you rather than outscore you like the other teams they’ve faced. Georgia Southern isn’t going to be pulling away from the Jaguars, leaving this game much closer than the line says.
(all lines from Draft Kings at the time of writing)